Thousands of Americans each year are injured by their barbeque, typically caused by using it incorrectly. At Wilshire Refrigeration & Appliance, we want you to enjoy the summer months safely, which includes making the most of your backyard grill. The following are some tips to this end.
1) Keep a safe distance between your grill and your house. Maintain a distance of at least 10 feet from your home and any attached portions like your garage. Do not use your grill under a wooden overhang, which is probably flammable.
2) Keep your grill clean. Regular removal of grease and fat buildup will reduce the risk of a fire since grease is a common cause of flare-ups.
3) Inspect your grill for gas leaks. Rubbing soapy water on the hoses and connections will let you know if there is a leak when the gas is turned on. If you see large bubbles, you may have small holes or the connection is not secure enough.
4) Get rid of decorations. Objects near your grill like a hanging basket, pillow, or umbrella can quickly catch fire and should be removed.
5) Have a water bottle nearby. Just in case of a small flare-up, you can use a water bottle to quickly put it out. Thankfully, the water isn’t going to ruin your food!
6) Have a fire extinguisher close by too. You also need to know how to use it correctly; otherwise, in the case of a bigger flare-up, dial 911 rather than trying to figure out how to use it.
7) Don’t turn the gas on if the grill lid is closed. This can cause gas to accumulate inside the grill, causing a fireball when you attempt to open and light it.
8) Stay near the grill. Plan and prep all your food ahead of time so you can always keep an eye on your barbeque.
9) Don’t put too much food on the grill at once. Especially fatty meats can cause a flare-up quickly.
10) Never use a grill indoors. On top of the fire-hazard this presents, the carbon monoxide that a grill releases is colorless and odorless and can kill you if not vented.
For more helpful tips or servicing of your Wolf grill, call Wilshire Refrigeration & Appliance. We are factory certified repair specialists and serve Southern California from Santa Barbara to Las Vegas.